Gitlab repository is a software built for managing git repositories in a centralized server equipped with issue tracking, wiki, etc. Holding the concept of continuous integration and continuous development, the software is quite handy and useful. In this article, there is a specific task which is very important as the first step for managing git repositories using Gitlab. That specific task is a task on how to grant access to Gitlab repository. As we already knew, files or folders are maintained in a certain repository. That specific repository where every each of them have their own rules for user whom can be permitted and for user whom is forbidden to access and perform operations on that repository. So, if a specific repository need to be accessed using a certain user, there is several things need to be done before the actual access to that specific repository can be done. Below is how to grant access to a Git repository for a certain user which is done from Gitlab Git repository management.
1. Access Gitlab Git repository management. Below is the image of Gitlab Git repository management :
2. Login to the Gitlab Git repository management by giving the correct username and password. It can be shown in the following image :
3. If the login process has successfully passed, the following image will display the main page of the Gitlab Git repository management :
The image above is edited by hiding all of the lists of recently created or modified Git project available.
- Klik the Dashboard Area and the following page will be presented :
5. After successfully accessing the admin page area, just access the Projects on the bottom left of the admin page. Click on the number of project to be able to see the projects in a listing view as shown below :
6. Just click on the Edit button of the associated project listed in the above project listing view in the admin area. One of them is clicked and the following image will be displayed :
7. The next one is adding the user which is going to be granted the access to the current selected project edited in the previous image above. Just click the Manage Access button at the right top of the page above. The following page will be presented :
8. Search the user which is going to be granted to access the project and select the role permissions for accessing the edited project. Another field which can be modified is the expiration date of the grant access to the project as shown below :
Just click the Add to project to officially add the new user with the role specified. If the add process is a success, the following image will be displayed :
As shown in the above image, the user which is granted access to the specified project now there are two of them. So, the process of granting the access to the specified project or repository has finished successfully.