In this article, creating a new Guest Machine in Virtual Machine Manager will be described in several steps. Guest Machine is a term which is used to point out to the virtual servers runs.
Those virtual servers or virtual machines which is generally manage by a specific purpose software. It is a software aim to manage virtual servers or virtual machines and for an example one of them is the Virtual Machine Manager.
After successfully installed Virtual Machine Manager which is also known as virt-manager, the management of guest machine or virtual server in detail such as the tasks of creating, deleting, editing, running and stopping the guest machine or virtual server can be easily done in it.
To create a new Guest Machine, below is the step execute :
1. Run Virtual Machine Manager. Since it is in a GUI-based operating system, there is a menu available to execute it or just type the command through the command line ‘virt-manager’. The following window will be popped-up :
- Right click on the QEMU/KVM list like shown below :
3. Select New and the following window will be popped-up :
4. Select radio button ‘Import existing disk image as shown below :
5. Click Forward and the installation process will be redirected into the following window :
6. Click the Browse… button to be able to import from a certain source. The process will be directed into the following window :
7. Click Browse Local button to choose an image with certain format. In the context of QEMU/KVM, the qcow image format is one of the disk image supported by QEMU processor emulator. It is a fixed size block device which is represented in a file.
8. Since the .qcow2 image has already been created, just click the Browse… button on the Backing store specifically in the Path: field as shown in the image below :
9. If the button Browse… is clicked, it will directly display the following Windows Explorer to locate the .qcow2 image and then load it so that it can be executed to run after. It can be shown in the image as follows which has been edited and the display will be vary depends on the variant and flavor of Linux operating system used :
10. After selecting the right qcow2 image file, below will appear the following display of the window :
11. Try to edit the OS type and Version of the new virtual machine which is going to be created as shown below :
Since the qcow2 image file is a CentOS 7 file image, the OS type chosen is Linux with the Version of CentOS 7.0
12. Click the button Forward to proceed on creating a new virtual machine. The next step will define the resource which is going to be given to the new virtual machine created. The default resource given is shown in the image as follow :
In the context of creating this virtual machine, the resource is changed into the following image :
Consider the resource of the virtual machine depends on the needs and the purpose of having a virtual machine created.
13. Click the Forward button to continue on the process of creating new virtual machine. The image will shown the following display :
14. Click the Finish button in order to finish the process of creating a new virtual machine. The newly created virtual machine can then be executed by choosing Run in the Right Click menu as shown as follows :
15. If the process succeed, Virtual Machine Manager will generate another window displaying the currently running virtual machine which is created not long ago as shown below :