This is an article which is tightly related with the management of virtual server using Openstack as its virtualization technology platform or framework. In this article as shown in the title, the focus is on one of the function which can be performed through the Openstack Dashboard as the tool used to manage virtual server, it is about how to create network port in Openstack for virtual server itself.
As it has already known that every server, either it is physical or virtual, it has the same concept of having a network interface attached to it. So, in order to virtually add or giving the virtual server a virtual network interface, it must be created in the first place. This article is showing on how to create a network interface or in the term of Openstack Dashboard, it is a network port. Below are steps taken in order to create a network interface or a network port :
1. Login to Openstack Dashboard. Read the article titled ‘How to Access and Login to Openstack Dashboard Page’ in this link to find out how to do it.
2. After successfully logged in into the Openstack Dashbord, the following default page will be displayed :
3. Just access the following menu : Admin > System > Networks. It is shown in the image below :
4. Select the Networks and it will shown the following page :
5. Just select the available network on in this case the network which has already been created and it is providing the IP Address to be assigned to the virtual network interface which is going to be made. The following page will be shown as follows :
6. Select the Port tab as shown below in the image below consisting of the available port in the form of a list with several information on it :
7. Since the main goal is for creating a new virtual network interface, or network port. Just click the button ‘Create Port’ which is available at the right top of the page. It will then display the following window :
8. Fill the information above related to the virtual network interface which the most important of it is the IP Address. Depends on the type of the IP Address, in the above context, it is selected the Fixed IP Address with the IP Address is being stated and filled in the input type field of ‘Fixed IP Address’. Don’t forget to click the Create Port button to execute on creating the virtual network port.
The process for creating network port which is later on can be attached as a network interface to the virtual server made has already finished.