A few words on Installing Netbeans IDE in Ubuntu-based operating system
Netbeans IDE is quite popular for developing systems or applications. In the early days, NetBeans IDE only supports Java programming language. But nowadays, it supports various type of programming language. In this article, the subject is about how to install Netbeans IDE in Linux operating system. Moreover, the operating system for installing Netbeans IDE in this article is Ubuntu-based Linux operating system.
Netbeans IDE installation Requirement
There is a certain requirement before the installation of Netbeans IDE can starts. There must be a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or a Java Virtual Machine (JVM) available in the operating system. It is the operating sytem where the installation of Netbeans IDE will take place. Read the article in this site titled ‘How to Install Java Development Kit in Linux’. It contains the information on installing Java Development Kit (JDK). It is available in this link.
Installing Java Development Kit (JDK) will fulfill the requirement for installing Netbeans IDE. Naturally, installing Java Development Kit (JDK) will automatically install JRE or JVM. The experience on installing Netbeans IDE installer in Ubuntu Linux 18.04 teaches the important value of installation folder path. The above installation path shows the path is in ‘/usr/local’. After installing it in that path, there are certain difficulties from executing Netbeans IDE. The most comfortable place for the installation is still the home folder of the user. Change the target of the installation folder into ‘/home/user’ for more appropriate location. The following are steps for installing Netbeans IDE in Ubuntu-based operating system :
1. First of all, download the Netbeans IDE file installer.
Just access the official netbeans website. Search the download link in it. Choose the suitable version of the Netbeans IDE.
2. Then, execute the Netbeans IDE file installer.
In the context of this article, the Netbeans IDE file installer is a binary shell script. It is in a ‘sh’ format. Execute it with the proper command. To start the Netbeans IDE installation process, below is the command execution :
user@hostname:~/Downloads/installer$ ./netbeans-8.2-linux.sh Configuring the installer... Searching for JVM on the system... Extracting installation data... Running the installer wizard... Gtk-Message: 22:20:05.382: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module" ....
3. After that, Continue the installation process of Netbeans IDE.
Normally, executing the command in the second step will present the GUI installation window as follows :
Click the ‘Next’ button exist in the previous GUI installation window to continue the installation process.
4. Furthermore, after clicking the ‘Next’ button in the previous step, the following GUI installation window will appear :
Click the checkbox with the label of ‘I accept the terms in the license agreement’ to continue the installation process. The above GUI installation window contains a License Agreement about Netbeans IDE product. To accept the agreement, just click the checkbox and proceed the installation process. It shows on the following image :
5. The following is the GUI installation window appear after the ‘Next’ button in the previous step is clicked. Certainly, the click is done after clicking the checkbox with the label of ‘I accept the terms in the license agreement’. In that case, the ‘Next’ button will be visible for further click. Below is the image :
The above GUI installation window is showing an information about the Netbeans installation folder and also the location of the JDK used by Netbeans. Just click the ‘Next’ button to proceed.
6. After clicking the ‘Next’ button in the previous step, It will appear the following GUI installation window :
The above GUI Installation Window is a window with the summary of the installation options. Those options are the Netbeans IDE installation folder and also the Glassfish Application Server.
7. Just click the ‘Install’ button to continue the installation process. The following image is the display of the installation process :
8. Eventually, if the installation process is a success, the following image of GUI Installation Window will appear :
Click the button ‘Finish’ to end the installation process. Finally, the installation of Netbeans IDE is over.
9. Last but not least, test and execute the Netbeans IDE by typing it in the command line as follows :
The following image will appears :
It means, the whole process of Netbeans IDE installation is already success.