This is an article relates to the series of the other articles concerning on installing Windows application inside Linux operating system’s environment. Read the article titled ‘Install PlayOnLinux on Ubuntu Linux 16.04‘ link to install PlayOnLinux first which is a utility used for further installation of Internet Explorer 8. As in the other article also has been written which is the Internet Explorer 7’s installation process titled ‘How to Install Internet Explorer 7 on Linux using PlayOnLinux‘ and it can be a useful reference.
The importance of installing another version of Internet Explorer which is newer than Internet Explorer 7 and in this context is the Internet Explorer 8 is shown in the image below :
Suddenly, while browsing using Internet Explorer 7 , it crashed and it is automatically shut off. So, instead of using unstable Internet Explorer 7 in Linux operating system, it has been decided to install the newer version of Internet Explorer hoping that it will run more stable. So, below is the installation steps of Internet Explorer 8 :
1. Run PlayOnLinux. Below is the display of the main window of PlayOnLinux :
2. Click link Install a program in the left sidebar to start installing Internet Explorer 8 as shown below :
3. The above image shown list of Application which can be installed, include Internet Explorer 8. Click Install button to proceed and continue :
4. The above image showed the beginning process of installation. Click Next button to continue the installation :
5. The installation process will continue after the Next button in the above is clicked and the process will be redirected into the following window :
6. The installation of Internet Explorer 8 will begin as shown in the above window. Just click the Next button to proceed.
7. The above image displays the progress of downloading Wine 1.7..22 which is apparently needed for Internet Explorer 8 to run. Wait for the process to be finished.
8. The above image is still showing the download process of Wine 1.7.22 which is needed for Internet Explorer 8 to be executed. Wait the progress to finish.
9. In the above image, another package or tool is being downloaded for further prerequisite of Internet Explorer 8’s installation. Wait for the download process finished.
10. Displaying wine-mono-4.5.2.msi’s download progress, just wait for the download process to be finished.
11. Downloading another file for Internet Explorer 8’s installation prerequisite, in this case is luna.msstyles. Wait for the process to be finished.
12. In the above image, it is showing the download process of IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe needed for further installation.
13. The above image displays information that Microsoft fonts’ installation is needed to proceed on installing Internet Explorer 8. Click the Next button to continue on the installation.
14. The above image displays PlayOnLinux’s page for Microsoft fonts License. Just check the “I Agree” checkbox as shown in the image below :
16. After ticking or checking the “I Agree” checkbox as shown in the above image, just click the Next button to proceed on the installation of Internet Explorer 8.
17. The above image is the process of downloading Microsoft Fonts which is a prerequisite on installing Internet Explorer 8 further.
18. In case the download process failed as shown in the above image, just click the Yes button to re-download the installation file needed for Internet Explorer 8 further installation.
19. The size of the file is certainly quite big, so pay attention to the stability of the internet connection. In the case of this installation, there are several trial of download process executed until the it finally succeed.
20. After the download process has already finished. The installation process of Internet Explorer 8 will finally start. In this installation example, the “I do not want to participate right now” radio button is selected. Just choose whatever option which is preferred, it seems the selected radio button will not impact the final installation’s result.
21. This is where the “I accept” button must be clicked in order to proceed the installation of Internet Explorer 8.
22. The above image displays the process of downloading Internet Explorer 8.
23. If the installation of Internet Explorer 8, overall of the steps are executed successfully, the above image will be displayed. Just click the “Restart now (recommended” button to restart the browser and ready to be used directly.
24. If there is an error occurred in the installation process during the restart step before using Internet Explorer 8 directly, just click the Yes button.
25. In the list of installed Windows application displayed in PlayOnLinux, right now there is a new addition of Internet Explorer 8 which can be executed. Just select Internet Explorer 8 and then click the Run button to use it.
24. The above is the image of Internet Explorer 8 running inside Linux Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial Xerus). Finally, the installation process has over and the Internet Explorer 8 can be used.