In this article, the description on how to install Internet Explorer 7 on Linux mainly Ubuntu Linux 16.04 (Xenial Xerus) will be delivered. As we already knew, the installation process cannot be instantly done since the application itself, in this case Internet Explorer 7 need to be emulated or to be executed with the help of other application, package or utilities.
Those application, package or utility will help Internet Explorer 7 to run under linux which is generally cannot be done in Linux variant operating system. One of the most popular tools recognized is ‘Wine’ and the other one recently acknowledge is ‘PlayOnLinux’.
To be able to install Internet Explorer 7, first of all, install PlayOnLinux in the host, workstation or server where is already installed Linux operating system but in the case of this article for an example, it is installed on Ubuntu Linux 16.04 (Xenial Xerus). The article can be found in the article titled ‘Install PlayOnLinux on Ubuntu Linux 16.04‘ link .
After successfully installed PlayOnLinux, run it so the following display of PlayOnLinux can be viewed :
After successfully executed PlayOnLinux as shown in the above image, run the following steps to install Internet Explorer 7 :
1. Click the link ‘Install a program’ in the Actions tab. It will then activate the following window to be appeared as shown below :
2. Click on the Internet Button on the PlayOnLinux install menu, so the following window will be appeared :
3. In the above Application or Program listed, choose Internet Explorer 7. And then click the Install button on the bottom right of the PlayOnLinux install menu Window. The following window will appear :
4. Klik the Next button in the above window to continue on the installation process and to be redirected in the following window :
5. Click the Next button again as shown in the above window and it will be redirected to the following window below :
6. Click the Next button again so that the installation process will be proceeded for further installation of Internet Explorer 7 :
7. The above image is showing download process of Wine 1.4 which is assumed to be one of the prerequisite on Internet Explorer 7 installation :
8. The window above is also the dialog box requesting user to proceed on the installation of Wine Gecko as part of Internet Explorer 7 installation’s prerequisite. Just click Install button to continue :
9. Another window asking to install Microsoft fonts for Internet Explorer 7 prerequisite for further installation. Just click Next to proceed :
10. This is the License Agreement part for installing Internet Explorer 7. Just check the “I Agree” checkbox as shown below :
11. Click the Next button after ticking or selecting the “I Agree” checkbox :
12. The download process of Microsoft Font will start as shown in the above window :
13. This is also part of Internet Explorer 7 installation which is selected the Language used. In this context, selecting English is a general option as shown below, but please suit it to the user preference :
14. Select the desired language and click the Next button :
15. The download process of IE7’s file installation will start as shown in the above image, just wait for it to finish the download :
19. Sometime, if the internet connection is bad, the process itself will be failed. So, if there is an offer to retry the download process, just click the Yes button and make sure that the connection for downloading IE7 installation file is stable.
20. If the download process has already succeed, the real installation step of Internet Explorer 7 will begin as shown in the above image :
21. Click the I Accept button in the Licensee Term Windows as part of the installation to proceed :
22. Click the Next button to continue the installation process :
23. The above image shows the installation process of Internet Explorer 7 which is downloading and installing required update. Just wait the process.
24. After successfully installed Internet Explorer 7, the above window will appear and ask to restart so that Internet Explorer 7 can be used as soon as possible.
25. The above process is the additional process executed by PlayOnLinux to register Internet Explorer 7 application in the PlayOnLinux itself.
26. Another additional process shown in the window above. Wait for the process to finish.
27. The above image showed that Internet Explorer 7 has already registered as part of the application in PlayOnLinux. Click the Run button in the left top part of PlayOnLinux to begin execute and to use Internet Explorer 7.
28. The above image showed Internet Explorer 7 running on top of Mozilla Firefox inside Linux Ubuntu 16.04 operating system.
29. Another image above is showing Internet Explorer 7 running inside Linux Ubuntu 16.04 operating systemm :
30. The default page of Internet Explorer 7 is displayed. Finally, it can be used directly to access any page.